The Italian Wine Scholar Unit 1 covers the regions in Northern Italy, from Valle d’Aosta to Friuli Venezia Giulia, down to Emilia Romagna and everything in between.
Italian Wine Scholar: Central & Southern Italy
- Duration: 3 Hour courses
- Schedule: Tuesdays 6:30 – 9:30 pm for 8 weeks
The Italian Wine Scholar™ curriculum is an Italian wine education program designed to provide committed students of wine with the most advanced and comprehensive specialization program on Italy bar none! It was created by native Italian, Maurizio Brioggi, DWS, FWS with the support of the Italian wine DOC/G consortia.The program provides all the tools necessary to successfully master the wines of Italy at a professional level.
The Italian Wine Scholar Unit 2 covers the regions in Central & Southern Italy, from Tuscany to Puglia, Sicily and Sardegna, and everything in between. The course covers Italian wine law, grape varieties and their organoleptic profiles, viticulture, winemaking, wine industry trends and economics, and all DOCs and DOCGs with their regulations, wine styles and specificities. This core body of knowledge is important whether you sell wine, buy wine, or teach about wine.
The course provides detailed, up-to-date coverage of Italian wines, as well as an introduction to Italian history, geography, viticulture and winemaking. You will:
- Develop specialist knowledge of the DOC, DOCG and note-worthy IGP wines of each Italian region
- Appreciate the historical and cultural context of Italian wine
- Consider the vineyard and winery factors that contribute to wine styles
- Develop assessment and description skills as you sample a range of exemplary wines, including many that are rare and difficult to source
In addition to the classroom presentations and tastings, the study materials include:
- A comprehensive illustrated study manual which also serves as reference book, with custom maps, charts, etc.
- Interactive online study modules for each region
- Online quizzes, flash cards and learning games for self-evaluation
- Glossary and pronunciation exercises
The Italian Wine Scholar is being taught by Giorgio Caflisch, a native Italian speaker and Certified Sommelier who holds several Italian wine-specific certifications.