This class will lead you on a journey to enlightenment as you taste through wine flights with different expressions of the same varietal.
Discovering Italian Wine
- Duration: 3 Hour Classes
- Itinerary: Three consecutive Thursdays 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
- Students will have the option to pick up the wines in advance and join the class via Zoom
Italy is the most important country for imported wines into the US and Discovering Italian Wine is an easy to understand introduction. This course breaks down the often-complex wines of Italy and is a great place to begin an immersion, especially for those wanting to pursue the Italian Wine Professional. Regardless of whether you are in wine service or sales and looking to jump-start your career or you are a consumer looking to get a quick initiation in Italian wine knowledge, Discovering Italian Wine is the ideal way to discover Italy—and her beautiful wines!
All along the way you’ll be exposed to the culture, wine and language of Italy. Your instructor, Giorgio Caflisch is a Certified Sommelier who holds multiple Italian Wine certifications including the Italian Wine Professional, Italian Wine Scholar and a Certified Italian Wine Educator, and best of all he is fluent in Italian. Each week he’ll cover material from the online course and lead guided tastings of specially chosen wines that illustrate key styles from the course outline. You will learn a little Italian along the way!
Discovering Italian Wine online is a fun, unpressured course consisting of seven lessons, each presenting a manageable amount of relevant information about Italian wines that are important in export markets. The in-person course combines key learning points from the online course together with the guided tastings.
IN-PERSON COURSE OUTLINE
- Setting the Stage: Key Italian Wine Regions
- 11 Key Italian Red Grape Varieties
- 11 Key Italian White Grape Varieties
- 11 Wines Named After Grape Varieties
- 11 Red Wines Named After Places
- 11 White, Pink, Sparkling, and Dessert Wines Named After Places
- 11 Places That Make Multiple Styles of Wine
ONLINE STUDY MATERIALS FOR EACH UNIT INCLUDE
- Access to the online course Discovering Italian Wine, which details learning objectives for each lesson, and covers key material in an interactive, guided fashion
- Illustrative maps, wine label examples and audio listening exercises, all online
- Timed feedback tests at the end of each lesson to test your knowledge
- A practice exam to get you ready for the actual certificate exam
- Discovering Italian Wine online course
- Discovering Italian Wine live course and guided tastings
- All course registration & exam fees
- DIW Certificate upon successful passing of the final exam
No prior knowledge of Italian wines is required. (That’s why it’s called “Discovering”!) However, students should be familiar with common wine terms and concepts from previous experience or a general wine course.
ABOUT THE CERTIFICATE & EXAM
The exam takes place online at the student’s convenience and consists of 30 multiple-choice questions that need to be answered in 40 minutes. Students must score at least 75% to achieve the IWC Level 1 Certificate.