Wine Foundation Course: Wines of California
Cost: $180.00 incl. wine
Dates:Tuesday March 12th, 19th & 26th.
Location: Chilled at French Country Wines, 2431 Bartlett Street, Houston, TX 77098
Instructor: Kelly Prohl
This 3 session (2hrs each) course will cover the basics of California Wine. For each wine-producing region, we will be looking at the major grape varietals and the style of wines made, the climate, the soil and sub regions, if applicable.
We will cover all the main regions (giving more time to Napa, Sonoma ):
1. Santa Barbara County: Will be discussing the American Viticultural Areas (AVA’s) within Santa Barbara: Santa Ynez, Santa Maria Valley and Santa Rita Hills.
2. Napa Valley: Discussing the major sub AVA’s of Stags Leap, Carneros, Rutherford, Oakville, Rutherford and the hills of Mayacamas and Vacs.
3. Sonoma County: Learn the AVA’s of Sonoma Valley, Coast & Mountains, Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill, Russian River Valley, Dry Creek and Knights Valley.
4. Central Coast: Discuss the AVA’s Santa Cruz Mountains, Arroyo Grande, Arroyo Seco, Monterey County, Paso Robles, Santa Lucia Highlands & San Luis Obispo
5. Central California Valley: Learn about the AVA’s of Lodi, Sierra Foothills (California Shenandoah Valley, El Dorado, Fair Play, Fiddletown, and North Yuba), San Joaquin and Delta Area.
6. North Coast: Mendocino County, Lake County and Wild Horse Valley.